Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I don't get it

I am not a parent, but I'd like to think that when I am that I will do whatever it takes to help my child in EVERY aspect of life. I am blown away by the number of parents that don't know what their child's homework is, who their teacher is, that they are going on a field trip this week. Seriously?!?

I have seen parents that refuse to 1)discipline 2)follow through with discipline 3)help their child be successful in school. Parents will fight a teacher tooth and nail about retaining their child, but not lift a finger to help them be successful where they are now.

I struggle to determine if it is the parent's lack of parenting or if a child really is ADD. I hate labeling a child like that so I don't say that with a light heart. I really feel that labeling a child with ADD or ADHD would be less common if parents took an active role in their child's life. And as a parent, not a friend. I hate, stress that word HATE, when a parent says, "I just feel so bad for him/her." NO! This is what they want, if you feel bad you won't discipline.

Be a parent, I don't care if it wasn't your plan. If you didn't want it, there are thousands of people looking to adopt a child, you should have cared enough to give your child parents that care.

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome Tommie!
    This should be posted in a newspaper column.
    Maybe you should do that as a side job. So far everything that I have read on your blog is newspaper worthy ;)
    You're an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tommie,
    I've just recently been reading your blog. It is good. I've read so many of my friends blogs and am actually considering one of my own, if only I were better at expressing myself. I'm still going to think about it.

    I'm so proud of this particular blog. It is so true. It seem no one wants to take responsiblility for anything now-a-days let alone their own children. It's a shame.

    Keep up the good work. I'll be reading all the way from Michigan.

    Take Care,
    Debbie Leffew

    ReplyDelete